Police Commissioner of Kolkata Surajit Kar Purkayastha flagging off the rally
Rotary Club Of Calcutta Mid Town in partnership with Just Sport, Global Turnstone and Ramakrishna Mission Blind Boys Academy had organized the Exide Rotary Car Rally For The Blind under the TSD (Time, Speed & Distance) format on July 27.
The one of a kind event, which primarily focused on empowerment for the visually challenged and to create a platform for them to be a part of the exciting and thrilling sport, saw more than 170 participants and 51 rallyist to muscle it out for the top slot. Being flagged off by the Police Commissioner of Kolkata Surajit Kar Purkayastha, from South City Mall, the rally covered around 60 kms to end at Narendrapur Ramakrishna Mission Blind Boys Academy.
“It was our vision to give an opportunity to the visually impaired to be the driving force in a sports, which is otherwise not available to them. Here the sighted person is for the first time empowered by the visually impaired and all throughout the rallying sector the visually impaired is on the Drivers Seat mode and the actual driver is on the guided mode,” said Yogesh Gupta, President, Rotary Club of Calcutta Midtown and Chief Coordinator for the event.
Under the guidance of Federation of Motor Sports Clubs of India (FMSCI), the car rally was categorized under two classes:
1. Expert class- Open to all entrant / driver with a blind navigator.
2. Amateur Class- Open to members of Rotary Club, Rotaract Club, their friends and relatives, other members of the society but excluding professional motor rallyists and other experienced amateur rallyists.
Each car had a visually impaired navigator and a sighted driver. The driving instruction was provided in braille. The chief steward of the rally was Lajpat Prasad, who was assisted by the other two stewards, Siddhartha S Bose and Subhash Nag Chowdhury. The Clerk Of Course was Arup Dey.
1. Dipanjan Ganguly (driver) & Sourav Pan (navigator) -18 penalty points
2. Aditya Singhi & Pradip Mondal -23
3. Vandana Sethi & Sabita Jagotia – 26
4. Debasish Sen & Somnath Hazra- 26
1. Soumyadeb Shaw (driver) & Sandip Ghosh (navigator) -5 penalty points
2. Sudip Kumar Ghosh & Biswajit Sil- 12
3. Anubhab De & Rajdip Naik- 15
By Ritwik Sinha
- Formula 1
- Volvo Car Corporation
- Audi R18
- Auto Expo
- Car care tips
- FIA WEC
- Land Rover
- Maruti Suzuki
- Nico Rosberg
- Tata Motors
- Volvo Technology
- 'diesel tax'
- Audi R18 e-tron quattro
- Audi R18 LMP1
- Audi India
- Audi Driving Experience
- Audi A8
- Anti-lock Braking System
- Anti-lock Brakes
- Andre Schürrle
- Alto 800
- Allgäu-Orient Rally
- Active Safety Test Area AB
- Acharya Jagadish Chandra Bose
- 24 Hours of Le Mans
- 1956 MG Magnette ZA
- 1933 Humber
- 1932 Ford V8 DeLuxe Phaeton
- 1926 Auburn Tourer
- 1925 Fiat Tipo 103
- 1924 Rolls-Royce 20 HP Barker Tourer (GLK 21)
- 1906 Renault Freres
- 14th Maruti Suzuki Raid-de-Himalaya